Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Typing Evolution

 

Typing Evolution

I own a 1950’s typewriter inherited from my parent,

It has stiff keys, an ink ribbon with a manual bar to advance it,

A Smith-Corona, heavy as lead, it was considered very fine,

But in the 1980’s, an electric typewriter was all mine,

I used it to type cover-letters, searching for employment,

The process was cumbersome and I did not enjoy it,

Although it was a lot faster, white correcting tape was essential,

Stop, correct, continue on; the process had potential,

But little did we know what advances would arrive,

Sometimes I even wonder now, how did we survive?

From typewriters to keyboards, the leap was exponential!

Laptops that go anywhere; it was quite consequential,

Typing classes became keyboarding, taught in all our schools,

New keys like Alt, Ctrl and Esc were not made for fools,

Correction on a screen is simple: backspace and delete,

Auto-correction and voice recognition made it more complete,

I can’t imagine typing on an old manual machine,

It was so rudimentary and now it is extreme!

Kids today would not believe the effort that it took,

Just to type a simple letter, an envelope, or a book!

Tammy Harvey

6/22/2026

No comments:

Post a Comment