Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Baby on the Way

 

Baby on the Way

Ten years ago, when my son’s wife was pregnant with our first grandbaby, they had just purchased their first home together.  It was a small starter home with 3 small bedrooms and 2 baths with no garage.  It had a beautiful deck outside the back door of the kitchen and a fenced-in backyard with plenty of beautiful landscapes.  They navigated a gender reveal party and began decorating a nautical-themed nursery for a baby boy due in only a few months.  As a family project, we added a cover over the deck area.  At some point, I was standing in their backyard at the corner of the deck that was so inviting.  My son mentioned to me how he needed to remove the rose bushes from the yard.  There were many of them.  Curiously I asked him why. He said it was because the baby might get hurt on the thorns.  Without even thinking, I quickly replied.  I asked him if he was going to take the stove out of the kitchen also.  He looked perplexed.  I told him the stove would be hot and if the baby touched it, he could get hurt.   I said that he would only touch the thorny bush one time before knowing it was not a good idea.  Natural consequences are the best teacher sometimes, I implied.  I think he must have understood my thought process because he did not remove the rose bushes from the yard or the stove from the kitchen!

First time parents are very protective, as they should be.  Now with three children and 10 years of experience, my son is the best balance of safety and life lessons.  He has had the opportunity to parent 2 boys and then become a girl dad.  He will tell you that there is a huge difference between raising girls and boys.  I did not have that experience as all three of my children are boys!  At this point, he could teach me a thing or two.  

Tammy Harvey

9/6/2026

No comments:

Post a Comment