Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Fly the Friendly Skies

 

Distraction at Douglas International Airport

Normally when I fly from Raleigh, NC to my home state of Tennessee, I endure a brief layover in Charlotte which creates is a bit of a nightmare for me.  Inevitably, the connection time is too short for the next flight, especially if there is any delay in Raleigh.  Without fail, my connector flight is already boarding when I land in Charlotte.  I get off at gate E-32 and need to be at C-15 in 12 minutes, and it is a 15-minute walk!  I have found myself more than once running through the crowded hallways of Charlotte Douglas International dodging first one obstacle and then the next to avoid colliding with other passengers.  I generally have to check my luggage in Raleigh (free at the gate) because I know I cannot run with my bag in tow.  This airport is laid out like the spokes on a wheel.  The center hub is a food court area and each gate series A through E are the spokes.  To get to another gate series always requires a trek through the center hub.  I have missed more than one connector flight and have since paid closer attention to the layover time gap.  It is stressful to say the least.  There are no direct flights available from RDU (Raleigh) to TYS (Knoxville). 

Recently, I flew to Knoxville via Charlotte from RDU and had plenty of time to walk to my new gate.  I leisurely looked around at all the airport merchandise.  I even had the luxury of going to the bathroom as well as getting a slice of pizza and a drink.  This was too good to be true.  When I sat down at my boarding gate, I only had 20 minutes to wait.  I began looking at my phone.  I became engrossed in reading the details of a medical report of a heart test I had done.   The boarding began.  I was in the last group, group 9, so I knew it was still going to be a while.  I glanced up when they called group 6.  There were plenty of people still waiting for boarding.  I looked back down because on the other flight, the time between 6 and 9 was a long wait.  I didn’t realize that I was on a smaller plane now that boarded much more quickly.  When I looked up again the jetway door was closed, even though people were standing at the desk.  It turns out, these people were being held there and possibly were going to be taken off the flight.  I panicked and ran over to the desk attendant.  I said I was in group 9.  He said he called group 9 three times, why didn’t I respond?  I said I was looking down and didn’t hear.  I pleaded to get on.  He said he would have to check with the boarding attendant that was on the plane checking for seats.  I couldn’t believe this was happening.  After having plenty of time on my hands, I just sat still while my plane was being boarded?  There was no running this time and yet I was going to miss my flight?   I was a fool.  Normally, I am on pins and needles to get in line to board.  My phone was a distraction and my interest in my medical report took priority.  I was so upset with myself.  Then the attendant emerged from the jetway. I looked at her with anticipation.  They changed my seat assignment but allowed me to board!  Whew.  Charlotte Douglas International Airport just seems to be a stressor, no matter what the circumstances.    I have even had to spend overnight in a Charlotte hotel (without compensation) because of a power outage at McGee Tyson Airport during one of my trips, but that’s a story for another day!  “Fly the Friendly Skies”

Tammy Harvey

7/29/2026

No comments:

Post a Comment