Tuesday, August 4, 2026

We Can Do Hard Things

 

We Can Do Hard Things

Recently, I have been flabbergasted by what others have accomplished.  These are not necessarily momentous, but not trivial either.  I think when someone sets their mind to do something, it is consequential, no matter the enormity of the task.  For example, my two-year-old and three-year-old granddaughters have conquered the plastic slide in the playroom with an additional trick.  After sliding down the slide they proceed immediately into a somersault.  For their ages, this impresses me.  My oldest grandson recently memorized the entirety of Robert Louis Stephenson’s poem “My Shadow” and recited it with such expression on stage in front of the fourth and fifth graders that I beamed with pride.  When he first received the assignment, he was a little intimidated, but he met the challenge and came in third place amongst his peers.  My other grandson, who is nearly seven, attended a day camp, all by himself, for the first time this summer.  He is finding his own confidence to do new things.  My oldest son has lost 30 pounds through diet and exercise alone, through dedication and without weight loss drugs.  He did it the old fashion way to improve his health.  His wife, a real estate agent, is on track to meet her personal goal for number of houses sold this year.  With purely hard work and resolve, she is reaching new heights.  Another of my daughters-in-law has begun memorizing the book of Romans.  I nearly fell off my chair when I heard her recite the first 3 chapters by memory without missing a word!  My third daughter-in-law and son have done a fair amount of travel over the past few years.  I recently picked them up at the airport after their flight only to find out they had learned to speak words in both Albanian and Montenegrin as preparation for their trip.  They could communicate with the locals.  I was astounded. My middle son has learned a new job task essential to his corporation employer.   He has been training and studying for the past few months. Currently, only he and the person going on maternity leave know how to accomplish this duty.  It sounds like job security to me.   My best friend has been battling breast cancer now for almost 9 years.  The stamina and mindset that it takes to continue to fight is admirable.  People all around me in my life continue to amaze me with the absolute courage and determination that they possess.  I am proud of all of them.  To each of them I say well done.

Tammy Harvey

7/6/2026

No comments:

Post a Comment